Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pasta, Pesto and Peas

I am officially ashamed. I, Melissa Lee, ate white pasta. Yes, not whole grain/whole wheat but processed white pasta!

This is all Eric's fault. I literally haven't made a pasta dish with anything but whole wheat pasta in a few years, but Eric came to visit last week and because he was sick, I thought I'd follow his wish and make him pasta for dinner.




I got this pasta pesto recipe online and thought I'd try it out- thanks Ina Garten- once again!

The recipe follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------


3/4 pound fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 1/2 cups pesto
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cups good mayonnaise
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
1/3 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cook the fusilli and bow ties separately in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes until each pasta is al dente. Drain and toss into a bowl with the olive oil. Cool to room temperature.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the pesto, spinach, and lemon juice. Add the mayonnaise and puree. Add the pesto mixture to the cooled pasta and then add the Parmesan, peas, pignoli, salt, and pepper. Mix well, season to taste, and serve at room temperature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What a simple recipe! Quick and fairly easy, this pasta recipe can literally feed an entire family- and then some. I didn't realize how much pasta this was going to be (although it did ask for two boxes)- Eric and I were eating this for lunch and dinner for a few days straight, and we still had leftovers! So if you are just cooking for one (or two or three or four), I would suggest altering this recipe a bit so you don't make nearly as much! If you're off to a potluck party- this would be perfect!

The peas added a good texture and made the dish more hearty while the pine nuts gave it that extra crunch and bite. I omitted about 1/4 of the sauce- and it still came out tasty (and a bit much)- so thankfully Eric pointed it out before I mixed the sauce in!

Filling and surprisingly light, I really liked it! Not only did I have a meal for an entire week- I have some leftover pesto that I can use as a spread for my sandwiches next week! Woot!




Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty: Easy
Taste: 8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment