Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Barley and Kielbasa Pilaf

Diets suck. For the longest time, I have been trying to convince myself that I can eat healthy foods but also enjoy the food I'm eating. Yeah. Right.

Alright, granted that there are some delicious foods out there that are also good for you- we all have to admit that a cheeseburger is going to taste a lot better than a salad. A decadent chocolate dessert is so much better than a piece of celery. Soy ice cream? Please- Haagen Daz is definitely the way to go. We all know it's true- diets suck.

Acknowledging that fact, it doesn't mean that we can't make foods that aren't that bad tasting and are healthy for us (but yes, aren't as good as cheeseburgers).

This brings me to my new recipe for today- Barley and Kielbasa Pilaf (recipe by Rachel Ray)


The recipe follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups pearl barley
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 1/2 pounds, butternut squash—peeled, seeded and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
3/4 pound kielbasa, chopped
4 cups cauliflower florets
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the barley and garlic and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 3 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer until the water has evaporated, 35 to 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, toast the breadcrumbs over medium heat for 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the squash and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Add the kielbasa and cook until the sausage is browned and the squash is tender, 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.

Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add the cauliflower and 2 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Using a second skillet, weigh down the cauliflower until browned on one side. Turn and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to the kielbasa and squash. Stir in the barley and parsley; top with the breadcrumbs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My tweaks: Instead of fresh breadcrumbs, I used Panko breadcrumbs (the Japanese version of breadcrumbs) to give it a lighter and airy crunch. Also, I used 99% lean turkey kielbasa- since we all know regular kielbasa would ruin the 'healthy' claim in this post. :)

What a great recipe! The lean sausage was a great savory addition to the dish while the sweet and soft butternut squash paired great with the crunchy panko breadcrumbs! The slightly charred cauliflower was also a great (and guilt-free) addition and added a smoky flavor to the pilaf. What was even better was that I have never had barley before! I was really excited to try out this dish and eat something I've never eaten before- and I am so happy this recipe was the one I tried!
While eating lunch at my cube (yes, I'm a loser) my cubemate (yes, J&J is cramped for space) commented on my lunch and even asked to try some! He loved it! (and asked for the recipe himself)
A great new dish- I gave my leftovers to Zeus and he couldn't get enough!!


Time: 40 minutes
Difficulty: Easy
Taste: 8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment