Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Braised Chicken Thighs with Button Mushrooms

As I sit here and countdown to the Thanksgiving holiday, I can't help but to think about all the delicious food I will be having oh so soon! Since my family isn't a turkey fan, I suggested they try out the recipe I made last week- Braised Chicken Thights with Button Mushrooms! Thanks for another one, Emeril!





The recipe follows:



-------------------------------------------------------------------

1 tablespoon olive oil
6 chicken thighs
1 tablespoon Essence

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
16 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups dark chicken stock
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
4 cups steamed white rice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves


Set a 10-inch, straight-sided saute pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Season the chicken thighs with the Essence, salt and pepper. Place the chicken, skin side down in the pan and sear until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over and sear on the second side for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and add the butter and mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until browned and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook, stirring often to make a light brown roux, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, stock and rosemary to the pan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan, skin side down and cook the chicken for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook until the meat is very tender, about 30 minutes. Serve the chicken over rice and garnish with the chopped parsley.

-------------------------------------------------------------------




Thre is always something special about Emeril's recipes. Although they aren't the easiest and simplest recipes to follow, and they do take a good amount of time, the rich and hearty meal you get out of your labor is completely worth it.








Sauteed onions and mushrooms






Surprisingly enough, I didn't make any changes to Emeril's recipe- I followed it exactly and it turned out great!


The sauce, unthickened




There are a number of reasons why I love this recipe. First off, I am a huge dark meat fan and I cannot stand dry white meat. Chicken breast (although, yes, healthier) is my foe and I really just refuse to make a dish with it because I know I won't eat all of it. Second, this recipe, although seemingly difficult, was fairly simple- it just requires some time. Lastly, it is surprisingly delicious. The chicken thighs are soft while the thick sauce is a perfect pairing with the rice. There is nothing I love more than eating rice with some delicious sauce.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving holiday- hey maybe if you're not in the mood for some turkey, this dish may be just for you!





Taste: A



Time: 1 hour 30 minutes



Difficulty: Intermediate


No comments:

Post a Comment