Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Munchy PupCakes

So as you know, Zeus has been moving around different cities/homes for quite a while now. Recently, before he officially moved in with me in NJ, Zeus lived with my parents for a good 4 months. My parents originally hated/were afraid of Zeus but as time passed, they couldn't help but fall in love with the little rascal.

Zeus (like any other dog) is notorious for begging at the table. The worst part about this bad habit is that my mom and dad indulge this habit by feeding him off their plates everytime Zeus whines and comes begging during dinner time. So inevitably, Zeus stopped eating his dog food and now only eats human food (and my mom cooks him meals every night, might I add- he's so spoiled!)



So now that he's back with me, I most definitely do not indulge this behavior and started him back on dog food, and he's been doing fine. However, I do feel a little bad as you can see the disdain in his face as he slowly walks to his bowl of dry food while I eat my yummy dishes at the dinner table. So for Valentine's Day and his birthday (Feb. 8th) I decided to make him a special treat!!!



I recently purchased "Real Food for Dogs- 50 Vet-Approved Rwecipes to Please the Canine Gastronome" written by Arden Moore. There are great recipes for all occasions and lots of them are very easy to make!


So I thought I'd kick it up a notch and add a recipe you can make for your friendly four-legged pals!

I decided to make Zeus the Munchy PupCakes, recipe follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------

3 cups water

2 carrots, shredded

1 egg

1/2 tsp vanilla

2 tbl honey

2 ripe bananas, mashed

4 cups whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large mixing bowl, blend the water, carrots, egg, vanilla and honey and then add the mashed bananas. In a separate bowl, mix the flor, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Pour the flour mixture into the carrot mixture and mix thoroughly. Spray a 12-cupcake pan with nonstick spray and fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool before serving.

----------------------------------------------------------------



And there you have it! Pretty simple I must say! The recipe makes about 20-24 cupcakes- so be prepared for a lot of leftovers!

Zeus loves these cupcakes and I still have a ton in my fridge! If you're looking for a good recipe (for your beloved companion) this is a great little treat!



Difficulty: Easy
Time: 1.5 hours
Taste: Ask Zeus

No comments:

Post a Comment