Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Southwestern Beef & Bean Burger Wrap

The real world is sort of boring, which I am sure many of you have noticed. You really can't do anything "fun" after work, being that you are exhausted out of your mind. The weekends are my days for relaxation/restaurant exploring- but what do I do on the weekdays for fun you ask? Cook, of course!

I thought that I would start another blog, separate from my food/restaurant blog. I thought it would be a good idea to share the recipes I have tried out during the week and hope that people at home can learn to enjoy cooking as well!

Eric is a huge health nut. He blames it on his little "health nazi" brother, but he has rubbed off on me and I always do try my best to eat healthy nowadays. I try my best to bring lunch to work everyday as it is not only cheaper but it is a lot healthier than grabbing a slice of pizza from the cafeteria downstairs.

This week, I thought I'd try out the Southwestern Beef & Bean Burger Wraps from Eatingwell.com



--------------------------------------------------------------------

The recipe follows:

12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
1 cup refried beans
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapenos
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4 whole-wheat tortillas, warmed
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges


  • Position oven rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.

  • Gently combine ground beef, beans, cilantro and jalapenos in a medium bowl (do not overmix). Shape into four 5-by-2-inch oblong patties and place on the prepared pan.

  • Broil the patties until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 165°F, 12 to 14 minutes.

  • Meanwhile, mash together avocado, salsa and garlic powder in a small bowl.

  • Place tortillas on a clean work surface. Spread each with the guacamole, then sprinkle with lettuce and cheese. Top each with a burger and roll into a wrap. Serve immediately, with lime wedges.

--------------------------------------------------------------------


I decided to omit the cilantro in the burger mixture, I don't really like it much - I think it has to do with a supressed childhood memory that I really can't recall. I also used fresh garlic instead of garlic powder and smashed the garlic with a bit of salt against my knife and it made the guacamole a lot more tasty. I warmed the tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave and it turned out to be perfectly warm and soft (try not to over heat as it can overcook the tortilla and it will start to become hard). Be careful moving your bean burgers, as the beans make the burger very soft and it makes it easy to fall apart!

This recipe is delicious and so simple! This is a must if you are busy and don't have the time to cook, as it is fast and great for lunch and/or dinner! For those of you who are busy and don't want the exert any more effort after work, believe me, I feel ya. Try this simple recipe out, you won't regret it.

Difficulty: Easy
Time: 15 minutes
Taste meter: 8

1 comment:

  1. Hey Melly,
    We made this recipe this week and it is delush!!! (Considering I don't usually like tuna or hard boiled eggs).
    http://www.mediterrasian.com/delicious_recipes_pan_bagnat.htm

    ReplyDelete